The Applied R&D Engineer conducts target-oriented research to directly apply findings to the specification, design, further development, and incremental improvement of products, services, systems, tools, processes, etc. Integrates, verifies, tests, and modifies SW / HW / system components and capitalizes on innovative solutions to meet particular requirements and specifications.
Fixed Networks Professional Services (FN-PS) Business Unit is looking for an SDAN Applied R&D Engineer.
Nokia software-defined access networks (SDAN) simplify the network in ways that renew your ability to scale while improving agility and keeping costs under control. Virtualization allows operators to automate the network and unlock new capabilities with smart, cloud-native access.
SDAN uses software-defined networking (SDN) and network function virtualization (NFV) to speed up innovation cycles in a multivendor environment, leverage cost-effective cloud platforms that simplify IT integration, and scale up your ability to program and automate the network. Software-defined access networks give you an optimized next-generation access network.
Nokia pioneers with the first cloud-native platform that helps operators get more value from their fixed access network, delivering the widest range of software-defined use cases.
As the Fixed Networks product portfolio is getting virtualized, we as Fixed Networks Professional Services are evolving our services portfolio to support software-defined and cloud-based solutions.
With this assignment, you will be responsible, for both internal and external customer projects, to support the software development, integration, validation and implementation of new applications within an agile framework.
Job Responsibilities & Competencies
- Obtains knowledge on the Fixed Networks technology domains like SDAN, Next Generation PON, etc. Professional Services is working typically around use cases to link and leverage the technology domain with the Services Innovations & applications. Examples are GPON E2E Network Build Control Management, G.Fast Implementation, OSS Integration, Fixed Access Network Slicing and Wireless PON Implementation.
- Develops software for SDAN solutions.
- Uses agile methods and the environment to work on solutions.
- Implements CI/CD practices.
- Follows DevOps practices.
- Applies and maintains quality standards. Participates in process and tools evolution and improvements.
- Defines and develops application projects considering speed, cost, efficiency, utilization, value, requirements and business objectives.
- Collects process improvement ideas and drives change management around processes with the stakeholders.
- Is behaving as an innovator. Accepts responsibility for and demonstrates support for delegated decisions. Requires minimum supervision. Uses non-standard approaches to resolving issues. Suggests improvements and seeks opportunities for innovation. Demonstrates initiative & adaptability to changing business environments. Is willing to take on new roles or jobs appropriate to skill set in different environments and/or locations.
Expertise and experience on new Software and Telecommunications application domains/concepts covering:
- Good knowledge and understanding of the NetConf protocol
- Good knowledge and understanding of the Yang models concept
- Efficiently navigating in Linux systems, including creation of simple shell scripts
- Good and practical knowledge of broadband telecommunication technologies (XDSL, GPON (OLT + ONU/MDU), NGPON2)
- Ability to use and create Web Services
- Good and practical knowledge of SQL language (Open Source solutions, like MariaDB, PostgreSQL)
- Ability to work with Open Source software.
- Individual Contributor performs day-to-day activities to meet departmental/project objectives. Yet will have to be able to work constructively in and with customer projects and teams.
- Analytical mindset, capable of combining and analyzing information from several different sources.
- Applied agile practices in software development.
- Experienced in working with international teams in diverse locations.
- Strong cognitive skills - Advanced English and interpersonal skills.
- Requires the ability to communicate with functional leadership regarding team & technical matters. May at times be required to negotiate regarding operational issues.
- Has cross-cultural knowledge and global mindset.